Tuesday, December 21, 2010

the cage is almost done~

Today everything began to come together. In the morning, I received a response from Suzi.

UPDATE ON BUNNY ADOPTION:
It turns out that Carolina could not be spayed because she is too little. Bugs 2 and his siblings, because they are male, were neutered. Clara as well as the other 4 month old bunnies have been spayed successfully! They're healthy and ready to go home with their adopters! Unfortunately, I was really counting on bringing Carolina home; she's my favorite. I asked Suzi if she could bring her anyways and if I could adopt her and then bring her for spaying later on. She hasn't replied yet.I'm really anxious because Carolina is really too cute. ; o;

Grayson
Theodore
Anyhow, we will be visiting the Lafayette Pet Shoppe tomorrow and adopting a bunny. I hope I fall in love with one of them so I don't wonder all the time how Carolina is...

Tomorrow I will be seeing Clara, Bugs  2, Grayson, Theodore, and hopefully Carolina.







UPDATE ON CAGES:
WOW OH WOW OH WOW. Today, my dad, mom, and I embarked on an excursion to find a cage for bunny! We initially visited the Home Depot to see if they had any alternatives to the wire storage cubes. They had a lot of wire things but they would have been difficult to put together and it would have amounted to be more expensive.
We ended up purchasing one of these Design-A-Cube wire storage boxes with 4 cubes and 2 shelf dividers from Bed Bath & Beyond. It was originally priced at $19.99 but we had a $5 coupon floating around. With tax, the package totaled $16.49. That's pretty cheap, considering other cages at $39.99. It has 17 grids and an extra 2 shelf dividers (it's a grid with 4 hinge things to clamp onto). It also came with 20 handy connectors that I ended up using as oppose to tie straps other people online used. The grids are very, very sturdy and well made. Often I have bought things that don't even work because of the terrible craftsmanship. This product turned out to be the perfect material for a cage.






This is the cage. It's a two story 2 x 2 (each grid is 14 x 14 inches) "condo". It is humongous. I keep reading about people who made theirs 3 stories with 5 x 4 grids and I think "how does that fit in the house?" It's even more surprising because most of them live in apartments! Anyhow, bunny's probably pretty little and she won't be needing that kind of space any time soon. The top of the cage is open except for the area that's on the second story. My mom and dad still think the cage is way too big but I think it's perfect. I'm going to be putting lots of rugs and mats underneath. The little covered section on the first story is where her bed will go. I had a lot of trouble making the door that can swing out for bunny to come in and out of. The grids, once connected, are unmovable so I had to improvise. I used these wire tie things that come in some packages (who thought those would ever come into use?). That way, it can swing out. Instead of using a latch, I'll be tying some sort of string to close the door.The cage turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. I must be unbelievably talented. :)



So that's the cage. It's definitely not as extravagant as some of the NIC cube cages I've seen on Youtube but hey, it suits it's purpose. c; These cages are often used for Guinea pigs as well as rabbits. If you're thinking of getting one, I'd advise you to make one of these. You can customize it to fit your space and the result is pretty darn good. I think bunny will be enjoying the space. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts on my blog!
Leave Romeo and Tigerlily some comments. c: